Millbrook defeats Wake Forest in an exciting shootout, resulting in Wake Forest’s third consecutive loss.

The Millbrook team secured second place in the NAC 6 Conference after a thrilling 45-42 win against Wake Forest. This puts them in the 4A East playoffs since they finished second out of six teams in the conference.

Wake Forest ended the season with three consecutive losses.

After a successful pass from senior quarterback Mason Fortune to junior DK Bryant, who then ran 30 yards for a touchdown, Millbrook gained a 10-6 lead.

During the following play, the Wildcats’ defense seemed to successfully halt the Cougars, but Millbrook made a mistake while attempting to punt. Wake Forest was able to gain possession.

The opportunity was seized by Wake Forest, as junior quarterback Kavon Simmons executed a one-yard keeper and gave the Cougars a 13-10 lead with only 45 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

During the second quarter, Millbrook mounted a powerful offensive effort in response. John Alcaron successfully reached the end zone from one yard out, giving Millbrook a 17-13 lead with 5:38 remaining in the first half.

The Cougars quickly retaliated with another touchdown. Rico Alston made his way into the end zone from a close range, giving Wake Forest a 20-17 lead with 2:31 remaining in the second quarter.

The score was 20-17 in favor of Wake Forest at the end of the first half.

The third quarter was a busy time.

Millbrook regained the advantage when Fortune threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to Bryant, putting them ahead 24-20 with 7:05 remaining in the quarter.

After a swift response, Wake Forest regained the lead with a 70-yard touchdown run by Alston, making the score 27-20.

Hunter Jackson of Millbrook scored a one-yard touchdown, putting the Wildcats ahead again. With three and a half minutes left in the third quarter, Millbrook was leading 31-27. Alston’s 10-yard touchdown run put the Cougars back in the lead at 34-31, but Nessiah McArthur’s 70-yard touchdown run allowed Millbrook to regain the lead at 38-34.

With only 2:16 remaining in the game, McArthur made a game-changing move with a 60-yard touchdown run, extending the Wildcats’ lead to 45-34.

Jeffrey Coleman scored a touchdown with an 8-yard pass and Wake Forest successfully converted a two-point play with 1:16 left on the clock. However, Millbrook’s recovery of the following onside kick put an end to any chances of a comeback for the Cougars.